Consultation on proposed relaxation of brucellosis pre-movement testing controls
The Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) held a public consultation from 11 April to 4 July 2014.on its proposal to relax brucellosis pre-movement testing controls for internal movements of cattle within Northern Ireland only.
This consultation is now closed.
On the basis of an assessment of current risk, DARD concluded that for brucellosis pre-movement testing:
- The age threshold could be increased from 12 to 24 months.
- The movement window could be extended from 30 to 60 days.
- It would be premature to abolish pre-movement testing at this stage but, once Officially Brucellosis Free (OBF) status is awarded by the European Commission, further relaxations of revised pre-movement testing controls could continue to be considered in a phased approach through to possible abolition.
The requirements of the Council Directive Directive 64/432/EEC relating to export to other Member States will continue to necessitate the pre-movement test to be conducted on animals intended for breeding and production that are aged 12 months and over within 30 days of export. This will remain the requirement for the export of cattle for breeding and production to Britain.
DARD sought views from all interested parties on the contents of the related Consultation Paper (with particular reference to the specific questions cited therein), the partial Regulatory Impact Assessment (RIA) and the Equality Screening Document.
For further information about this consultation please e-mail email@example.com.
Please see links below for further information and downloadable documents:
- Letter to Consultees - Proposed relaxation of brucellosis pre-movement testing controls (Portable Document Format, 149 Kb)
- Consultation Paper - Proposed relaxation of brucellosis pre-movement testing controls (Portable Document Format, 51 Kb)
- Partial Regulatory Impact Assessment - Proposed relaxation of brucellosis pre-movement testing controls (Portable Document Format, 82 Kb)
- Equality Screening Document - Proposed relaxation of brucellosis pre-movement testing controls (Portable Document Format, 159 Kb)
- Summary of the Formal Responses to the Consultation (Microsoft Word, 53 Kb)