Stage 1 - create local legislation
The main requirements contained in the legislation are:
- Undertake a preliminary flood risk assessment of all river basins and coastal zones in Northern Ireland by December 2011. On the basis of this assessment, identify all areas at potential significant flood risk;
- Produce detailed flood hazard maps and flood risk maps for the areas determined to be at potential significant flood risk by December 2013;
- Produce flood risk management plans that are focused on prevention, protection and preparedness and which contain objectives and measures to reduce significant risk in these areas. Plans must be produced in draft by December 2014 and finalised by December 2015;
- Co-ordinate efforts with the Republic of Ireland in relation to cross border river basins;
- Encourage the active involvement of interested parties in the production of flood risk management plans. Co-ordinate flood risk management plans with the involvement of interested parties in the Water Framework Directive.
- Make the preliminary flood risk assessment, flood hazard maps, flood risk maps and the flood risk management plans available to the public.